Monday, September 24, 2012

Taming The Allergenic Shrew

Fifty pin pricks later and I found out I have some pretty severe allergies. Color me surprised! Fifty pin pricks sounds like a lot, because it is. As uncomfortable  as the term"pin pricks" sounds, it is  actually the itchy hives that develop after the pricks that makes you want to scratch your eyes out. I knew it wasn't going to be good news once the nurse left the room and my back felt like it was on fire and itched like crazy. I was right, it wasn't good news. I am not mildly allergic, no, I am SEVERELY allergic. (I don't like to do anything half-assed, not even my allergies.) My allergist suggested that I begin allergy shots, in addition to the meds he prescribed me. I, also, am now the proud owner of an Epi-Pen. No anaphalaxis for me! (Though my husband seems a little too eager to jam that needle in my leg.) My allergy shots will begin in a couple weeks. I am incredibly excited! (No, really, I am.) Sure, they will be slowly injecting me with things I have a proven allergy to, but hopefully it will "cure" my allergy. Allegedly, these shots are supposed to slowly build up my body's own specific immunities to the things I am allergic to. I will have to go every week to get shots in each arm, and then, wait for a half an hour in the doctor's office to make sure I don't die. It sounds pretty grim, but I'd pretty much do anything at this point. It's quite the pain not being able to breathe or go outside. Here's hoping I will be able to breathe someday soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home