Monday, October 1, 2012

Emergency Room Fun

My Dear Readers,

While I do not come bearing a sad steroid withdrawal story, I do come with a tale of woe about an E.R. visit this past weekend. Beginning Friday night, I felt as if I had been hit in the face with a baseball bat. (I actually have no frame of reference for this, but let's just assume we can all imagine what that feels like). I went to bed early, feeling just awful. Woke up Saturday morning feeling even worse. My husband left for a few hours to run some errands, and by the time he came back I was in a crazy amount of pain, shaking, and having trouble breathing. I finally decided it was time to head to the E.R. I can honestly say I have never felt anything like that in my entire life. My body was hurting from head to toe, but at the same time my hands, legs, and face were going numb. I was having the hardest time catching my breath. It was similar to an asthma attack, but worse. Oddly enough, I wasn't panicking about it. I kissed my kid, and my husband drove me to the E.R. closest to our house. As my husband was filling out all of my paperwork, and they were checking my vitals, the numbness in my hand became worse and they started shaking. At this point, the nurse checking me in thought I might be having an allergic reaction to the steroid I was on. Unlike any normal person at this moment might have been freaking out, I just sat there and told my husband that I loved him the best I could, since I kept gasping for air. The nurse so sweetly told me to take deeper breaths. I laughed on the inside, and thought, "if I could do that, I probably wouldn't be here lady." So they finally get me back and I had the blood draw from hell. My husband tried to warn the girl that I have child-like arms and a small needle would be easier, but she felt she knew best. One blown vein, and another painful prick later, my blood had been drawn and I was all set for an I.V. They let me know that the doc would be in to see me soon. Now, if you have ever been in an E.R. before, you know that there are really good E.R. doctors, and the ones without any bedside manner that make you wish you had just died at home in peace. Needless to say, I laid there trying not to shake to death praying for a good doctor. Thankfully, a very nice woman came in. She checked me out, and told me all the tests they were going to run. She did not think it was from the steroid, and told me I was running a crazy high fever of 104.0. Apparently, super high fevers can make you have extreme pain, shaking, and numbness. Who knew? They gave me some meds and and an I.V., ran some tests to make sure it wasn't pneumonia, and then we waited in the room for close to six hours. Fun times! I'm pretty sure we watched ten episodes of Pawn Stars. I will spare you the details of my husband fighting with my nurse because my I.V. wasn't working, and that she hadn't come to check on me once in that time. Wait, I guess that was it. You really weren't spared at all. My husband is "trained to save," and takes great offense to someone not getting the whole I.V. thing right. Finally, my doctor came back in to let me know that I have a severe sinus infection. (Which, in retrospect, makes the baseball bat to the face feeling make sense). She thinks I was more susceptible to getting a bad infection because I was on the steroid. So really, this is a sad steroid story...Now that I have come full circle, I will go lay back down. I am taking meds around the clock. Tylenol, antibiotics, anti-nausea meds for my antibiotics...What a blast! So I feel awful, and am on the hunt for a good probiotic.
I will try to write again soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home