Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Businesses, Houses, and Interviews, Oh My!

My life has been such a whirlwind lately, and my writing seems to have taken a backseat. So, lucky you, I am here with an update.

I did attend my shadow appointment at baking school. It was absolutely amazing! I watched the class bake two cakes, and make gum paste lilies. The only drawback was that these Saturday classes run all day. These students barely had a chance to eat a snack in between cakes, and sitting at all was out of the question. For this reason, I will be unable to attend baking school. My body is just not up for standing 6-12 hours for the classes that I would need to take. Rather than getting depressed about the limitations of my crappy, old body, I decided to move on and remain positive. (My husband was so incredibly disappointed that he would not be able to eat my homework.)

Instead of taking it easy, like a normal person, I decided to start my own business. (Sure, why not?) My tutoring job has been going pretty well, so I decided to make a business out of it. I have been spending my time filing business documents, starting a website, and even creating a facebook page. This has occupied the majority of my time lately. I'm not sure how successful I will be, but it most definitely makes me feel like I have purpose and direction.

Now, on to the juicy stuff...
We moved in with my parents! That's right, remain shocked. My husband will be deploying soon, and he didn't feel comfortable leaving me and our son alone in our town house. (He's such a worrier.) So, my brother is now renting our old house, and we are shacked up with my parents. (Yes, it is awkward staying with my husband in my old room, in case you were wondering.) In the meantime, we will be on the hunt for a new house for when he gets back. I am very excited to start our house search! (Mostly because my uncle is our real estate agent, and I find him hilarious in his old age, and also because I love to be nosey and see how other people decorate their homes, in a non-creeper way of course.)

In the midst of starting my new business, and beginning the hunt for a new abode, I got a call to come in for an interview at a job I applied for forever ago. Of course! It's as if God is just up there laughing, and saying, "Dance, monkey! Dance!" So, I decided to do the interview, since it is only a part-time job, I can easily add it into my schedule. I have decided to just jump at opportunities now, since I have missed so many in my life already. Yesterday was my interview. I have not done an interview in almost three years, so this was quite the experience. First, I, of course, got lost on the way there. I have decided that GPS is completely unreliable, and that it is a wonder any one makes it anywhere. I have now decided to invest in a map, and hope I have better luck. The GPS took me to the wrong building, and I ended up being five minutes late for my interview. (I know, stellar impression I made right off the bat.) Thankfully, the women interviewing me were incredibly nice. Then the questions began. Now, this was the hilarious part. I had just ran into the building wearing high heels (which I do not generally wear anymore because they cause strain on my abdomen, but they looked super cute with the dress I wore, so I had to), and now they expected me to answer questions about myself. The hot flashes began. I was completely drenched in sweat after introducing myself. Awesome! I am a stay-at-home mom, so my conversations throughout the day generally consist of me telling my son why it is inappropriate to take his pants off every time he eats, and why it is not a good idea for him to jump off the back of the couch. (On top of the fact that due to my current menopausal state, I have little to no memory)  So, actually having to process well thought out answers in a timely manner was really just some sort of cruel joke. If I didn't get the job, I at least gave them a half hour of laughs.

I will keep you all posted as to how all of this pans out. Nothing says "ready for a new life" like living with your parents and sweating through interviews!

1 Comments:

At November 7, 2012 at 11:31 AM , Blogger Adrianne said...

Looking forward to the "why it's inappropriate to take your pants off every time you eat" conversation with C! :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home