Monday, September 9, 2013

Dreaming Dreams

Dear Readers, 

The question I pose to you this week is, how many of you are doing the things in life that you have dreamed about doing? Or, is living out your dreams just a childish thought? 

I have put a great deal of thought into this lately, due to the fact that I currently appear to have a lack of a career path. I began college right out of high school, and I knew exactly what I wanted to do. When I began college, I was an Elementary Education major. I knew that I wanted to be a teacher. (Well, to be honest, I loved art and writing, but felt that there was no way to make a career out of it, so I became passionate about teaching instead.) I had volunteered with a special education teacher in my senior year of high school, and I wanted to be able to contribute to this world in the same way that I felt that the teacher I assisted did. When I first started college, I loved my major. I felt like I was working toward an admirable goal. However, the further and further I got into my major, the more and more it seemed like something was missing. First, I changed my major to Early Childhood Education, and then, when I switched schools after my husband and I were married, I changed my major again to Elementary Education and Special Education. My health made school difficult for me, as you all know, so I had a long break after that major change. Then, once my son was old enough, and I was ready to go back to school, I decided to major in English. Finally, I felt like I was pursuing the thing that made me, me. It has proved to be a long and difficult road to achieve my degree, but I love to write. 

Now, back to the question at hand. Am I doing the thing that I have dreamed about doing? I have dreamed about being a writer. I have dreamed that someone will read something that I write, and fall in love with it. I have dreamed of being like the writers whose words constantly swirl in my head and live in my heart. Am I a writer? Sure, I keep this little blog, and I write a million things for myself, but I do not have my completed bachelor's in English, and I do not have a writing career. Therefore, I do not believe myself to be a full-fledged, put it on a business card, writer. I feel such a pull to writing, but I also feel a pull to be responsible adult, and find just any job that pays. This is why I have posed the second part of my question. Is it childish to believe that we should all be doing what we dream about doing? Someone has to pay the bills, don't they? I know so many people who are not doing what they dream about doing. Is it fear, or is it responsibility of adulthood that makes us believe our dreams are not worth the time anymore? 

I put these questions to you, my readers. For me, I am holding on to my dream to be a writer. I may not be considered a writer, yet, but I am holding on to the dream of someday. If I am silly and childish, well I guess, so be it. I have been called worse. 

Until we meet again, count the blessings in your life and give thanks. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home